Mo Denver

So for some reason I was really nervous to fly. I actually love to fly, but I guess I haven't flown for awhile so maybe that was it. Myla took me to the airport and I made it through security alright (snicker, snicker, we'll get to that later) with plenty of time to spare. Of course I was one of the last called to board-after they snatched my carryon because there wasn't any more room...grrr- and so as soon as I got on the plane I tried to scope out a decent seat.

I had very few qualifications: 1.I didn't want to sit by any-let's say- space hoggers, and 2. I didn't want to sit by any men-because they can be space hoggers, slightly stinky, and well, creepy. You just never know. Not all of you men out there, Im not trying to diss anybody, please don't get upset but come on, you know more than I do the possiblities...think about the last time you were in a men's restroom. Now I've never actually been in one, I don't think, but I have heard horror stories. Plus I received very specific instructions from Jake NOT to talk to any strangers, especially guys, on the plane or heaven forbid they snatch me up like in the movie Taken. (Terrible movie, blah) Thanks dad. These are things that, because of Jake's line of work, seem far fetched to the rest of us but VERY likely to him. So I was nearing the back of the plane and hadn't found THE seat but I saw two women, an empty seat between them, held up traffic behind me, and clumsily merged in.

Then I started to think about the possibility of motion sickness...I had only really experienced motion sickness once on a plane, and yes-I tossed my cookies...well, Pop'ems. Me and Chels were headin' back from San Francisco and just before our flight we gorged ourselves at the Ghirradelli Chocolate Factory. Come on, can you BLAME US? On top of THAT we snacked on Pop'ems (Oh if you've never had them they are absolutely de-licious! Look in the Entemen's baked goods section next time you're at the grocery store and BUY THEM. They are little chocolate dougnut holes, not the glazed, or chocolate covered, no, no, no, they've got to be the chocolate covered devils food.) So really, afer taking into account all of the chocolate goodies I consumed I can't really say with confidence that my motion sickness that day was entirely due to flying, it was definitely a combination of many factors.

But, nonetheless in recent years, MUCH to my dismay, I have become really sensitive to movement. I say much to my dismay because if you know me you know I LOVE to go FAST: on rollercoasters, motorcycles, jetskiis, quads, in cars...and I love thrill rides. The last trip to Knott's I rode a few (awesome) rides and then because of a sensitive tummy I spent the rest of the day in...Camp Snoopy, ugh. It was very disappointing. The next couple trips to the State Fair I couldn't eat anything I wanted, ride all the rides and repeat like always...no, I got queezy and had to sit down for a while. Finally, the last little dorky parking lot carnival we went to I actually puked in some bushes. It was embarrassing, depressing, and a little more than gross. I've talked to similarly aged friends and have discovered that they've experienced the same phenomena. So I guess that's why "grown ups" aren't fun. That's why moms never want to ride the rides. What a sad existence...

Well, anyway, I started to get nervouse that plane riding would produce the same nauseating effects and I didn't see any barf bags, and I was sandwiched between two women I didn't know and I was thinking, "Oh no, what if this is a terrible experience!" As soon as we started to taxi out on the runway I remembered how much I looove to fly. The pilot must have shared my need for speed because he just gunned it. I was pushed back into my seat and I just kept silently cheering, "faster, faster, faster!" Soon we were up in the air and I felt just fine.

Something was alarming even though the whole motion sickness thing wasn't a problem... a short while after take off I realized that the woman next to me was actually... a MAN. I have issues with my eyes apparently (among other things) but really, how did I miss THAT? He had longer hair so when he looked out the window I guess that's all I saw but come on, on closer observation he had man arms and bushy hair exploding from his shirt...sometimes I wonder about myself.

Well after being delayed in the air for nearly AN HOUR- no big deal-I was able to read AN ENTIRE ENSIGN- we finally landed, with grace, I might add in the pilot's favor. I was just awfully impressed with his skills.
I made my way to BAGGAGE CLAIM, grrr, and found Brent, Monica, and little Scarlet. Scarlet was so cute. She was sooo excited to see me even though she probably doesn't even remember me at all. But it made me feel really special; she gave me a great big hug.
The thunder there was unreal- sooo loud! When we went outside it was storming real hard and it even started to hail. I ran over and tried to get in the hail and probably looked liked a complete crazy person to anyone watching-but hail! That's rare when you come from Arizona, you don't just pass up a chance like that.

 
All of the items that I unknowingly snuck past airport security in my carryon. Count 'em- 12. That's a little worrisome as far as Sky Harbor Airport security is concerned...



We took a couple long drives up into the mountains to check out the ski resorts. It was really cool. I'm psyched to come back this winter and "hit it hard" as Jake and I say.

Vail-gorgeous. Need I say more? The poppies were as big as my stretched out hand and came to my waist or higher. I will live here someday. I don't know how because it is after all a "rich playground" in the words of my aunt Joyce. But there's gotta be a way...
The view of downtown Denver from Brent's office building.
Here's the Eldora Mountain area: beautiful.

 
Standing on what seems like the top of the world- the Continental Divide.

 
Don't mess- Mo and Brent are hardcore!

 
I got rocky road and I don't regret it...

Aunt Joyce's beautiful backyard. She has an amazing vegetable and flower garden. Definitely an inspiration.

Here's Mo at the coolest park ever. It's called Central Park in Stapleton where Monica wants to live some day. I hope she does- it's just darling. Reminds me of Agritopia in Gilbert where I had looked at a house-but better.
16th Street Mall in Downtown Denver.

1 comment:

  1. Fun, fun, fun. I find it a little strange that none of the normal Monica pictures made it onto your blog, only the crazy ones!

    ReplyDelete